Tension headaches are the most common type of headache. Tension headache tends to happen when you are under a lot of stress. Other triggers for a tension headache are depression, hunger and muscle strain.
A hot tub’s massage power can be great relief for tension headaches. The warmth of the water and the massaging action of the jets help to decrease the pain of tension headaches.
Symptoms of Tension Headaches
· A headache that is constant (not throbbing)
· Pain or pressure on both sides of your head.
· Pain at your temples or the back of your head/neck.
Headache Removal Techniques
1. Turn the jets on high and sit in the hot tub with a cold/damp towel on your head where the pain is. If this doesn’t work you can try alternating between using a warm towel and a cold towel on your head.
2. Relax in the hot tub for 15 minutes, ensuring a good massage. The best hot tub for these types of headaches will have neck jets. If you don’t have neck jets be sure to get as much of the jet pressure on your back as possible. After 15 minutes leave the hot tub and place an ice pack on the affected area for 5-10 minutes.
3. Turn off the stereo system in your spa. This helps to achieve total relaxation. If the stereo is kept on the noise may worsen your headache.
These techniques help to relieve muscle tension in your body and aren’t guaranteed to relieve the pain that a tension headache causes.
*It is recommended to consult with a doctor to find out if these methods of headache removal are appropriate for you.